Internship in Youth Ministry, Short-Term Missions, Justice and Leadership
Be2Live is a faith-based non-profit with a mission to inspire and equip world changers. We provide high-quality service and learning experiences with a focus on understanding systemic justice issues in our service context.
Come and be equipped to work with youth in a post-Christian context, wrestle with justice issues, learn best practices for short-term missions and grow in God’s calling for your life.
Location: La Mision, Mexico (one hour south of San Diego, CA)
Dates: June 6th -August 3rd, 2018
Overview: This internship includes: living 4 weeks at an orphanage and the rest of the time in a small Mexican town, wrestling with the complexities of the border wall that separates the United States and Mexico, exploring issues of systemic poverty in the old Tijuana dump, participating in work projects, leading a group of high school students through their trip and extensive personal growth and leadership work.
This internship is geared for you to learn about yourself, God, others, and this world in a very practical and experiential way while walking alongside American students and the locals in Mexico.
The majority of high school students who attend our Mexico trips are from the San Francisco Bay Area. Most come from an affluent post-Christian context where God is neither good nor bad, but being activists in social justice issues is very important. We have the opportunity to connect the two by showing them God’s heart for justice and for those on the underside of life.
Three components of the Internship:
- Hands-on learning and best practices for leading mission trips and youth ministry.
- Intensive study on service and justice through teaching and real-time experiences.
- Spiritual growth and leadership development through guided readings, leadership assessments, challenging conversations, and communal living.
- Attend orientation and Mexico trip training June 6th-8th in La Mision, Mexico.
- Assist with pre and post trip preparation and wrap up.
- Provide behind the scenes support such as logistics, project site coordination, and details needed to make a trip run smoothly.
- Lead/co-lead a small group of high school students throughout the day and in the evening debriefing the day and discussing life in the way of Jesus.
- Be willing to serve, work, engage in conversations, give constructive feedback, and be stretched.
Be2Live will provide to the Interns
- Hands-on training in working with youth in a post-Christian context.
- Training on how to run a culturally responsible short-term mission trip.
- Leadership development through opportunities to lead, assessments and personal reflection, and challenging exercises.
- Develop a theology of service and justice and how to apply it to everyday life through teaching and real-time practical learning.
- Opportunities to learn from people who are serving deportees along the US/Mexico border, immigrants, people living on the old Tijuana dump, and Directors and staff of various ministries (Medical clinic, orphanages, daycare etc.).
- Housing, food, transportation within Mexico, and training supplies including books and speakers for personal and spiritual growth.
- Fun excursions to local places and activities in Baja and San Diego. (Surfing, zip-lining, foodie restaurants, beach, etc.- the cost of these are up to you.)
- The intern must have a willingness to grow in their personal relationship with Jesus.
- The intern should have a servant’s heart and attitude of humility and flexibility. Most of our work is done for the benefit and service of others. This will mean early mornings and late nights.
- The intern must be at least a Sophomore in college or 19 years of age.
- The intern should have a heart for high school students and a willingness to study and thoughtfully engage the post-Christian youth culture.
- Previous experience with students is not required but highly recommended. The ability to speak Spanish is not required but is very helpful.
The cost for the Be2Live summer internship is $3000 and includes:
(You may raise funds for your internship as this includes four weeks of mission/service trips.)
- All Meals (except for Baja Excursion Days and days off)
- Lodging (communal living with other same-gender interns)
- Transportation while in Mexico.
- Mid-summer Be2Live retreat.
- Books and personal assessment tools on youth ministry, justice, and leadership
The cost Does NOT include:
- Travel to/from San Diego
- Excursion Day Activities
- Medical Insurance, Passport, Travel Insurance
- Spending Money
June 6-8 – Orientation
June 10-16 – Student Mexico Trip #1
June 17-23 – Student Mexico Trip #2
June 25-July 13 – Three weeks of intensive personal, spiritual and ministry development (Field Trips, Fun Baja Excursions and learning from different ministries)
July 14-21 – Adult and College Mexico Trip #3
July 22-28 – Student Mexico Trip #4
July 29-August 3rd – Debrief and Launch
Note important deadlines: Applications due April 16th, final payment due May 16th.
- Read the information above carefully.
- Fill out the online application below. All internship applications are due by April 16th, 2018.
- Contact your references letting them know we will be contacting them soon.
- After we have received your application and we have contacted your references we will contact you to set up an online interview.
- Upon confirmation of acceptance, submit your $500 deposit to secure your spot.
- Pay the remaining balance by May 16th and submit health, boundaries, and insurance forms